People & Planet
This business makes a positive difference by...
- Helping disadvantaged people keep their windows clean.
- Making life much easier for people who are too busy to clean their windows.
- Making someone feel good because they know that they are helping you develop your business and computing skills.
Before You Start
Do Some Market Research
Conduct a quick survey among your neighbours and friends asking them:
- Do you keep your windows clean?
- How often do you clean your windows?
- Have you ever wished that you could get it cleaned without paying too much?
This will give you a clear idea on how your business will perform.
Things you’ll need:
- Cleaning solution
- Two buckets
- A squeegee on a pole
- Some newspaper
- Start with your neighbours and friends - You have the advantage that they already know and trust you.
- Have a creative and convincing flyer to give to interested people
- Put flyers in your local community notice board
- Advertise in community newspapers
- Approach the local businesses in your neighbourhood to see if they need their windows washed. Many businesses need their windows to be cleaned occasionally - after a job well done, arrange to clean their windows on a monthly basis.
- Once you're more experienced you may want to ask your satisfied clients to pass the word about your awesome service!
Pricing: Get to know the business by finding out how much professionals charge for their services. Then set a price that you think is reasonable. Remember: you are not a professional - which is why you shouldn't be that expensive!
You should consider charging by the number of windows each house has.
- Whenever you're visiting the house of any client, always have an adult present, and always make sure that your parents know where you're going. You can trust most people but it's better to be safe.
- Do not use a ladder to clean windows that you (and your pole) cannot reach. If your customer asks you to do so, tell them that you are not allowed to do anything dangerous. It is recommended that you inform your customers about this before you start cleaning.
- When using cleaning solutions, always read the instructions carefully and follow them strictly. Some chemicals may be harmful to you.
Get on with it
For windows that your arms can reach:
- Pour the correct amount of cleaning solution into a bucket of water
- Drop the cloth into the bucket and wring it out to begin washing the windows
- Dry the windows by wiping it with newspapers
For windows that you can't reach:
- Dip the squeegee into the bucket of water and cleaning solution
- Clean the window with the squeegee, moving the squeegee from top to bottom, not side to side
- Dip the squeegee into another bucket containing clean water
- Apply the water-soaked squeegee onto the window again to rinse it
- Occasionally wipe the end of the squeegee with a paper towel to keep it clean - you don't want to spread the dirt!